Cost: $63 – With Motorcycle: $73

Effective October 1, 2017 the KY Division of Drivers Licensing has launched a new on-line web service. Applicants must now submit the following documents via the MY CDL portal at before a CDL permit or license can be issued:

  • Medical Examiner’s Certificate (Also known as the DOT physical card)
  • The Commercial Application (CAP)
  • Received Self Certification (RSC)

The Commercial Application (CAP) and Received Self Certification (RSC) and medical examiners certificate (MCR) will display on the applicant’s driving record once the applicant receives confirmation from DOT that the status has been updated.  The applicant may then come into our office to obtain their license or permit.

New applicants must pass the written test and eye exam to receive a permit. The written test may be taken at the Kentucky State Police Testing Facility located at 1655 Delaware Crossing in Independence Monday – Friday between the hours of 8AM to 2PM. The applicant must have the permit for 14 days before the road test can be scheduled.

CDL road testing is by appointment only and takes place on I-75 at the weigh station. To set up your appointment please call 1(800)542-5990.

Hazmat drivers must have a new Transportation Security Administration application on file every four years. Hazmat drivers will be required to retest on hazardous endorsements and apply with the Kentucky State Police for finger printing (844)655-9655. Applicants must have approval from fingerprints before testing. Contact a Deputy Clerk at either the Covington or Independence locations for information on a 90 day extension to cover these additional Hazmat requirements.

For more information and study materials, contact the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.
An online study guide is available here


How do I transfer my valid out-of-state Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) NO HAZMAT?

Transferring CDLs from another state requires us to update the applicant’s required credentials with our state office located in Frankfort. Applicants must submit their medical certificate, commercial application and self-certification throught the MyCDL portal at   This may take up to 10 days for all paperwork to be processed. Please plan accordingly.

What do I need to bring to transfer my out-of-state CDL endorsements?

  • Social Security Card (May not be laminated or photocopied)


  • Mail postmarked or dated within the last 90 days with applicant’s name


  • Your out-of-state license
    If you no longer have your out-of-state license you must have a clearance letter from the state where you last held your license.


  • Current medical card

What if I am transferring in a HAZMAT endorsement?

The process for transferring in a hazmat endorsement from another state requires the same steps as mentioned above plus an additional fingerprint requirement. You must transfer your out of state license and be issued a valid KY license before scheduling fingerprints. You can do this at one of the two Driver’s License branches located in Covington or Independence. Fingerprints are handled at the State Police testing facility in Independence located at 1655 Delaware Crossing. Please call (844) 253-5680 to schedule your appointment. If you are transferring in a hazmat endorsement the Deputy Clerk will contact the state office in Frankfort to grant you a 90 day extension to complete the requirements.

Kenton County Driver’s License Branches:

Kenton County Justice Center:
290 Madison Ave. 2nd floor
Covington, KY 41011
Phone: (859) 292-6579 Option 6
Hours: Monday – Friday 8AM – 4 PM
Payment Options  –  Cash, Check, Debit Card or Credit Card.
There is a $2 third-party fee for debit or credit card transactions.

Independence Branch:
1655 Delaware Crossing
Independence, KY 41051

Phone: (859) 356-5925
Fax: (859) 356-0942
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00AM – 4PM
Wednesday 8:00AM – 6 PM
Saturday 9AM – 12PM (closed Holiday weekends) No Testing
Payment Options  –  Cash, Check, Debit Card or Credit Card.
There is a $2 third-party fee for debit or credit card transactions.

State Police Testing Center
1655 Delaware Crossing
Independence, KY 41051
Phone: (844) 253-5680
Hours: Monday – Friday 8AM – 11 PM and 12:30 – 3:30 PM for CDL Testing